Using essential oils (such as lime, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit, or peppermint), you can customize this basic recipe, which consists of unscented oil and wax. Purchase tubes and plastic tubs like the ones shown here (cosmetics jars are also ideal). The recipe yields 1/2 ounce.
- 3 teaspoons grated unbleached beeswax
- 5 teaspoons carrier oil (sunflower, castor, or jojoba)
- 6 or 7 drops essential oil
- 1 teaspoon honey, for flavor
- Melt the beeswax and carrier oil together in the top of a double boiler, stirring to combine. Remove from heat; add honey and essential oil. Mix thoroughly so the honey does not clump.
- To add a little color, stir in a tiny dab of lipstick with a coffee stirrer. Pour the mixture into containers; let sit 20 minutes before covering or moving. For glossier lip balm, use 2 teaspoons wax and 8 teaspoons carrier oil.